Sunday, September 26, 2010

BACKUPS! THEY ARE IMPORTANT!

The other day my Macbook suffered a pretty critical hardware failure and I lost all of my script files. It took me about 3 hours to get my files back and that was far too long. In fact, the fact it took any time at ALL was a pretty harsh indicator that I needed to get a proper backup solution.

I started looking around to see what was best for me. I knew that since these were script files I'd need to have the option to revert to an earlier version, I knew I needed to have a solution that would not involve me having to manually backup files, I knew it had to be cross-platform since I work in Windows and OSX,and I knew it had to be free because, well, I'm poor!

Enter Dropbox. This was exactly what I needed and am now using. The 2GB plan is free (and more than ample for backing up your screenplays), it allows me to set up a specific folder to sync so I can just save my scripts there, and I can use it from Windows, OSX and a handful of other platforms if I so desire. It's pretty much the idea solution and since it works from anywhere I can always have a copy of my script on me wherever I have computer access.

But yes, one of the reasons you didn't hear from me was because I was pretty much fighting these computer issues every step of the way. It was a bit annoying.

No comments:

Post a Comment